What is the main importance of environmental impact assessment (EIA). Before we explain the relevance of this tool, on the environment. In this article, let’s define first what the term environmental impact assessment means. Environmental impact assessment, abbreviated EIA is a process of measuring and evaluating the impact of any proposed project and development on the environment, including benefits of environmental impact assessment. Its done by taking into consideration the social, economic, culture and human based health risks and benefits.
Benefits Of Environmental Impact Assessment
Environment impact assessments EIA has been an important systematic process in the filed of environment science and management. It helps practitioners, government and industries, to measure environment damage. Through EIA, environmental managers and practitioners are able to predict negative and positive impact on the environment. Another key importance of environmental impact assessment EIA is to analyze environmental impact and protecting species, micro-organisms, breeding areas and its none-living environment.
Here’s The Importance of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Through environment impact assessments, project managers know which project need full screening to prevent any damage to the environment.
- Helps to assess potential impacts relevant to the environmental legislation based on the legislative requirements.
- Identifies problems and helps through mitigation process in advance to anticipate disasters likely to happen.
- Protects the biodiversity environment by suggesting alternative safe project designs and methods.
- Predicts the impact rate for proposed projects, this can be negative or positive.
- Highlights possible alternative safer to the environment and methods with less impact.
- EIA produces an environmental management plan and summery for the none-tech general public.
- Helps stakeholders in decision making of whether to approve the project or not based on the findings after assessment.
- Predicts impact and proposes mitigation measures according to EMP.
- To identify, evaluate and predict the environmental, economic and social impact of new development activities.
- To record and rate the impact levels on the environment by proposed projects.
- Provides information showing environmental consequences before decision making.
Answer: Importance of environmental impact assessment is to to promote safe environment, sound and sustainable development, by measuring environmental impact likely to be caused by projects. EIA shows impact levels on marine species, land, plants, animals, micro-organisms and non-living organism. Then identifies safer methods, proposes appropriate alternatives measures to be undertake before decision making and implementation.
Benefits of environmental Impact Assessment pdf