Earlier we interacted with the concept of public administration and we interacted with a number of factors around the study. Being a worldwide phenomenon, there is always something to compare about the administrative systems of countries. This was developed into a Scope of public administration which holds this study, called Comparative Public Administration, hence why we focus on the Advantages and disadvantages of comparative public administration as we had already properly tackled its relevance in the past.
Scholars developed so much interest in the administration of third world countries. The interest grew especially after the second world war and the idea of comparative began to broaden because of this predicament. Before we get into the Advantages and disadvantages of comparative public administration, its importance among Public Administration course subjects, objectives of the concept of comperative public administration is vital to Public administration, we need to at least get a brief summary of how it works.
Comparative public administration is a branch of public administration that helps you understand the administrative structures of different countries and how they function in their settings. It evokes comparative discussions on the administrations of different countries in a particular environment.
For instance, one scholar may choose to compare the administrative systems of a few countries in Southern Africa After World War 2 most countries attained independence and running their countries was not as easy as it was supposed to be. They were slapped by rapid socio-economic developments and change.
Advantages and disadvantages of comparative public administration
This necessitated the development of a comparative model that could bring about development administrations.
Let us now interact with the advantages and disadvantages of the model of comparative public administration :
- Comparative public administration helps, administrators, researchers and policy makers understand the successes and failures of counterpart administrative systems. Building upon a model of success or against known failures is a task that has you in the position of advantage always. If you are in good terms with the neighbours in question, an exchange of ideas will seal the Pillars of public administration.
- Developments by other administrative structures in the same environment keeps administrators accountable especially when availability of resources in the region is not so different. When administrators know that the public is aware of trends within the reach of their nation, there is a better drive for genuine development that benefits the rightful beneficiaries of public funds and resources.
- It is easy for administrators to seek assistance or even offer some to neighbouring administrations. What happens is, when you understand how a counterpart structure works, you can develop a hybrid structure that sometimes is more efficient than the initial one. This can work to your advantage in both circumstances. This hybrid could be of your original idea or the counterpart ‘s.
- Comparative public administration creates an environment where there is not much of excuses from authorities especially in Africa where distribution of resources is manipulated from time to time.
- Comparative public administration accelerates the development process especially when neighbouring structures keep making strides that will leave you embarrassingly behind. Africa has been lagging behind for a long time as far as development is concerned. It is high time we make use of concepts like comparative administration to catch up.
- There is a great chance of these comparisons being abused for corruption purposes. In the event that administrators in one nation observe a loophole in another system, they could create an imaginry crisis and support it with the situation next door while looting for personal gains.
- There is a risk of benchmarking everything your administration does on the structure and system of the other. Despite being in the same environment, what works in one country may not work in another. We have seen this even in two provinces of the same country.
- Some may perceive this as not a disadvantage but I believe it is. Comparative public administration as a science is quite new. When concepts are developed, they lack substance because, either the researcher does not have enough material to argue his case or there are underlying agendas within the development of such a concept.
- Comparative public administration focuses more on development and neglects other areas of importance. Culture is at risk with the development of this concept.
- The concept has the potential to cause civil unrest, especially if there is a rise of politicians who may want to take advantage of the model as a campaign strategy.
We have gathered, Comparative Public Administration is a branch of public administration. While the latter is focused on the implementation of government tasks, the former focuses on issues to do with development. As young entrepreneurs how can we tap into comparative public administration for it to benefit and grow our businesses?
I would be interested in engaging public administration structures in neighbouring countries. This can equip me with knowledge on how I can implement new ideas in my own business, borrowed from concepts just across the boarder.
There is also an opportunity for business expansion beyond boarders, which is presented by comparative public administration. Understanding this concept can also help young people lobby for reforms that are pro-development making sure the country is not left behind when it comes to issues of development.
Allow me to sign out with a few words from Avijit Biswas, “The contribution of the comparative approach to administrative research at present is particularly significant. However, when the CAG closed in the 1970s and merged with the International Committee of the American Society for Public Administration, it was doubtful that the practice of comparative public administration would cease.
But it turns out that the potential for comparative research is growing in the modern era. In the context of globalization, exchanges between states have also increased. That is why different states are deepening principles of public administration and the relationship between them. As a result, the possibility of comparative discussions is increasing.
The bureaucracy of different political systems, government management systems, relations between government and non-government organizations etc. can be discussed with great success in today’s age.”
Comparative Public Administration in Africa should work as a tool to put the continent ahead. Looking at how Africa is the hub of natural resources, the concepf should open our eyes to the fact that the world needs us and not the other way round.
- Master in public Administration courses
- Types of Public administration
- Role of Public Administration in Democracy
- Difference between management and administration
- Public administration(Woodrow Wilson)
- Characteristics of public administration
- Nature and scope of Comparative public administration
- Six generic functions of public administration
- Courses in Public Administration(Diploma)
- Courses in Public Administration