There some differences and similarities between Administration and Management. Differences which can be noted, closely between these terminologies, despite the definitions been similar. “Administration” according the oxford dictionary, refers to a process of administering, following and applying or putting laid down instruction into practices. It refers to implementing of policies, rules and regulations outlined one is supposed to follow. These can be coming from higher authority, or political office. In nature administrators administer policies. Its why this term is commonly used whenever an administrator is mentioned.
Administration Vs Management (Similarities & Differences)
Management differs from Administration because it involves controlling of resources, people drafting rules, making strategies. Here are the similarities between Administration and Management:
- Both management Administration and Management are practiced by people working in offices to carryout duties.
- Administration and Management have been in existence for a long time and contribute to the effective running of the organization.
- Management comprises of administration and Administration works well if combined together. Hence a manger needs to have both skills.
- Both Administration and Management are process based techniques
- Administration and Management must achieve something towards the end. Whether doing Administration or Management, the goal is to deliver expected outcomes.
- Management and Administration both exist in the New public management model
- Administration plays an administering role, following procedure and rules. While Management involves taking fair judgment and making decisions.
- In Administration credit goes to the higher office. Work is done as a directive that needs to be fulfilled.
- Administration is procedural based and Management function based on delivering desired results.
- Management is a continuous process that needs observation almost at all the stages during program implementation.
- Administration is a one way process and no further observation might be required form the administer.
- Administration was mostly used in the public sector, before the adoption on new public management. Management can be traced in the private sector.
- The term Management represents and carries broader sense of the work done.
- Public managers are considered administrators and management refers to those who perform a role of more than just implementing.
Both Administration and management refer to the process and role of administrators which involves, application and implementation of policies. What brings a distinction is whenever a term public is applied in the definition and distinction of these terms.
Public Management Vs Public Administration
Public management is a technical aspect of Administration. Management has all the tools and essential factors that include, implementation,monitoring, evaluation and assessing of policies. Public management, Public finance and public policy, Human resource and other fields are put into practice in the management process. Through public management public servants play a major role of been in charge and taking responsibility an credit for the works to improve organization output.
Public Administration refers to the study of the public sector. Its a process of implementing policies, process rules and ensuring they are applied according to the stipulated law. Public administration is the use of managerial tools, political theory, to implement executive, judiciary and legislative policies on behalf of government to offer goods or services. Because of this definition, Public Administration provides services to the public. Hence most organizations are not based on profit making but service. It consists of both Administration and management, which administrators apply in reality when making decisions.