What are 5 characteristics of democracy? It’s important to understand the main meaning of democracy in a state, its characteristics, and its features. The word Democracy was derived from Greek terminology ‘people’ or ‘demos’ meaning people or is ruled by the people. Therefore, “democracy is the rule by the people for the people”.
The main 5 Characteristics of Democracy: The five primary characteristics of Democracy and characteristics, include Independent Judiciary, Elected Representative, Civil Liberties, Opposition Political Parties, and the rule of law. These characteristics together help in running a government that reflects the desires and needs of the citizens. Democracy is “administration by, for, and of the people of every society of country.” Other types of democracy, include monarchy, anarchy, oligarchy, and others. But democracy is regarded as the best among many of these types of democracy.
Five characteristics of democracy are as follows:
Also Read: 10 main Characteristics of a Democracy
- Independent Judiciary: Conflicts are settled in the courts more democratically, without any interference because the court is independent of the government.
- Elected Representative: The people choose their own representatives to serve as their leaders at both local, government and institutional level. Hence, people are entitled to take part in making decisions on behalf of others.
- Civil Liberties: People can access civil freedoms like the freedom to strike, demonstrations, and freedom of speech and expression.
- Organized Opposition Party: A well-organized opposition party is crucial to democracy to check on the executive branch and provide checks and balances.
- Rule of Law: In a democracy, the rule of law is upheld, everyone is equal and no one is above the law. In the eyes of the law, the law is supreme, everyone is subject to the law and all citizens are treated equally.
Democracy is the best approach and way to learning what each social group wants, especially for diverse countries.
FAQs on Characteristics of Democracy
The five primary characteristics of Democracy and characteristics, include Independent Judiciary, Elected Representative, Civil Liberties, Opposition Political Parties, and the rule of law.
- Role of the three actors in industrial relations
- Advantages of trade unions to employers
- Examples of Market Failure and Government Intervention
- 7 Functions Of Management
- Matrix organizational structure
- Public Administration course subjects
- Nature and scope of Comparative public administration
- Importance of trade unions to workers
- Trade union and its purpose